Excellent Commercial Greenhouse Design
Small Space,. Lots of Garden.
Here’s how the miniature greenhouse look with the top on.
To make one:
- cut off the top of a drink bottle,
- cut off the center portion
- make some holes about 1 or 2 cm (half inch) from the bottom (to let moisture collect so that you don’t have to water it everyday)
- put a paper at the inside (to prevent the sun from heating the soil too much)
- put in soil
- put the seed in just slightly
- wait for it to sprout
Temperatures too high—either day or night or both. During seed starting times, I try to keep the greenhouse temperatures in the 70’s during the day, and in the low to mid 50’s at night.Not enough light. Seedlings will stretch toward the light. I keep seedlings under fluorescent lights about 16 hours a day. The lights are just a couple of inches above the plants.Not enough air movement. You should have a fan running gently near the plants at all times. This helps them grow stocky and also prevents damping off fungus.
Also, brushing your plant tops gently with your fingers for a couple of minutes a day will help them grow stocky.Seeds planted too deep or soil surface was too dry. Seeds have a limited amount of energy (in the cotyledons) to push themselves up through the soil.Not enough food. Once you see true leaves, you should be giving the plants weak solutions of fertilizer (I use fish & kelp emulsion).