Horticultural Society of New York Photo Contest
The Hort is pleased to announce a free photo contest designed to highlight the plants, gardens, landscapes, and gardeners that inspire us all. The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers of all ages.
The deadline for submissions is 12PM-EST on Friday, July 20, 2012.
Images should fit into one of the following categories (see below for additional submission guidelines):
- Plant Detail (i.e. flower, tree, edible, etc.)
- Garden Image (i.e. backyard, community, botanical, etc.)
- Landscape View (urban park, meadow, lake, etc.)
- Portrait of a Gardener (a gardener in action or in their environment)
Images will be judged not only on formal aesthetic qualities but also on creativity and character. Awards will include 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place, plus a Popular Vote* winner and an Honorable Mention.
Award winners will be announced on August 1, 2012. The five award-winning photographs will be placed in an online image gallery hosted on our website. They will also be displayed for the month of August in our Project Gallery at our Midtown Manhattan headquarters. Prizes include a one-year subscription to Aperture and a 16”x20” stretched giclee canvas print from Duggal. Even more awards will be announced soon.
Send us your favorite photo today!
*In order to be eligible for the Popular Vote award, you must indicate in your submission that you would like your photo included in the Popular Vote category. The Hort will post Popular Vote photographs to our Facebook page shortly after the submission period has closed. Voting will continue until 6PM-EST on Monday, July 30, 2012. The Popular Vote winner will be the submission that receives the most “likes” on our Facebook page.
- Please submit your photo(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12PM-EST on Friday, July 20, 2012. (If you would also like to be eligable for the Popular Vote category, please indicate so in your submission)
- Photo submissions are limited to 4 per person (one per category).
- Submitted image files should be no larger than 1,000 pixels in either dimension and saved as high quality JPEGS. (Please note: award winners will be expected to provide print quality high resolution TIFF files.)
- Title your image file as follows: LastName_FirstName_Title.jpg.
- Include the following information with your submission:
- City of residence
- Email address
- Photo title
- Photo date
- Photo location
- Camera type
- Print type (if not digital)
- Include me in the Popular Vote (Y/N)